KINSHASA (Reuters) – The US will close the US embassy in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Tuesday for a possible terrorist threat to US government facilities in Kinshasa.
Before the United States threatened citizens threatened Saturday and closed the embassy on Monday. A second statement Monday said the embassy would remain closed for another day. He suggested that citizens in Kinshasa keep a low profile.
The embassy refused to comment on the full nature of the threat. Congolese government spokesman Lambert Mende said the United States did not share any information.
The political situation in Congo is strained. Campaigns began last week for the 23 December presidential elections, aimed at selecting the successor to incumbent Joseph Kabila.
Repetitive delays in elections over the past two years have led to street demonstrations, where security forces have killed dozens of demonstrators and worsened militant violence across the country.
Reporting by Giulia Paravicini; Editing by Edward McAllister and Angus MacSwan