The battle for HQ2 is finally over.
On Tuesday, in a blog post, Amazon chose the two winners of the HQ2 project: Queens, Long Island City in New York, and Arlington, Virginia's newly established National Landing area.
Expected news comes after a year-long search that starts with 238 offers that go down to a short list of 20 sites at the beginning of the year.
Read more: Amazon officially announced the division of HQ2 between New York and Virginia
Amazon said it plans to invest over $ 5 billion at the beginning and plans to do 50,000 high-paying jobs with the new HQ2. As a result, cities and states had the chance to win the e-commerce giant, put together bids for eligible sites and even offered tax incentives to sweeten the deal.
New Yorker Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he would change his name to Amazon Cuomo to get the company's name.
On Tuesday, both Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio praised Amazon's decision to choose New York.
"New York is about to receive tens of thousands of new, well-paid jobs and Amazon, to meet the world's most skilled workforce in one of the most talented destinations in the world. Welcome to Queens", # HQ2, "de Blasio wrote. excitement.
"When I go to the office, new New York State – creating an attractive business environment for financially responsible and growing companies and tomorrow's industries or We can proudly say that we have taken one of the largest, most competitive economic development investments in New York, US history. , "Cuomo said in Amazon's blog post.
The exact terms of New York's agreement with Amazon were set out in a series of documents signed by New York City, two city organizations and an Amazon representative. These documents were published online on Tuesday.
Here are the largest packages:
Where will the new center be?
- The new headquarters will be close to the beach, in Long Island City, between 46th and 44th Street.
- The new offices will spread over an area of four million square meters and will have the opportunity to expand to 8 million square meters in the future.
- Offices will be a mix of private and public buildings, including the Ministry of Education office, which will be transported from Vernon Avenue.
- After the city has accepted Amazon's design proposals, construction will begin in 12 months.
- Amazon, a technology startup incubator and agreed to reserve space on campus for use by artists and industrial enterprises. He also agreed to donate a site for a new primary or intermediary public school.
- The company will also invest in infrastructure improvements and new green areas.
How many people will Amazon hire?
- Amazon will hire 25,000 people in the next 10 years. The average annual wage of these employees would be $ 150,000. The recruitment started with 700 people who will join the new offices in 2019.
- A total of 40,000 people could be recruited if the Amazon expanded the center in the future.
How much will Amazon invest in the local community?
- In all, the Amazon will invest about $ 3.7 billion over the next 15 years.
- This includes an investment investment development initiative of $ 5 million, including technology training programs and internships for local students.
What tax incentives will Amazon receive?
- Amazon is entitled to receive direct incentives of $ 1,525 billion, if 25,000 jobs continue until the end of the bargain. These are taxes paid to employees' salaries and reimbursements for the construction of new offices.