A Canadian teenager developed a dangerous vaping disease unlike lung diseases in patients in the United States. Instead, it is similar to the type of lung injury workers breathing in a microwave popcorn factory developed years ago without giving it a buttery taste.
Doctors said the previously healthy 17-year-old had been intensely vaporized for months and used several products he bought online through a Canadian dealer before he got sick last spring. The products came in different flavors: "green apple", "raw mountain" and "cotton candy".
The boy's family said that he breathes deeply while vaping, and he regularly adds to his users the main cannabis, THC, which uses their devices at a high rate.
He is the author of the report and is a critical care physician at the Ontario Health Science Center in Canada. En Our patient and his family want the public to be aware of what can happen to everyone, Kar said Karen Bosma. He is also a co-scientist at the Lawson Health Research Institute.
Bosma and colleagues reported the boy's case on Thursday in the CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Magazine).
The young man was admitted to the hospital for a week after a cough he could not shake, a fever and difficulty breathing. Lung function deteriorated rapidly and he received temporary life support.
May our news meet your inbox. Important news and stories delivered on weekday mornings.
Doctors said they avoided the need for a double lung transplant, but doctors seem to have suffered from chronic lung damage.
Bosma told NBC News that the CT scan of the lungs of the young man was injured in the airways and had difficulty delivering carbon dioxide.
Despite similarities in symptoms, the young man's lung disease seems slightly different from more than 2,000 cases in the United States.
Many patients in the United States suffer from small air sacs that are responsible for the entry and exit of oxygen and carbon dioxide into the lungs.
The doctors in the Canadian case could not find any such damage. Instead, they saw a different species that resembled what is commonly known as "popcorn lungs."
The term "popcorn lungs" comes from a disease worker in a microwave popcorn factory developed about twenty years ago: a condition called bronchiolitis obliterans. Some of them were so sick that they were referred for a lung transplant.
A long study revealed that the cause of the disease was breathing diacetyl, the butter aroma. Microwave is no longer used by most companies that make popcorn.
It is not clear whether the Canadian child has the same chemicals in their e-liquids. The products he emptied were discarded.
During the summer, the Food and Drug Administration announced that it is considering adding diacetyl to the list of chemicals known to be harmful in tobacco products. Chemical sweetening is approved for use in food but not in aerosol products.
Young addiction experts say that e-cigarette delicacies are very appealing to young people. The Trump administration seems to have avoided a proposed ban on flavor, but the FDA is empowered to move forward with such a restriction.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are scheduled to update their tally on vaping-related diseases in the country on Thursday.
Follow NBC HEALTH excitement & Facebook.