In a few weeks the messenger will no longer work on certain smartphones. A list of related devices is already making the rounds.
Mountain View – WhatsApp has announced that its functionality will not be fully working on certain smartphone models anytime soon. The makers of Messenger stop periodically to further improve the service for older operating systems.
First, because they fear the lack of security updates for older software. Second, to avoid having to pre-test new functionality in an unmanageable number of OS versions.
From November 1, 2021, only smartphones with Android 4.1, iOS 10 and KaiOS 2.5.1 operating systems can install and use WhatsApp. US business magazine Entrepreneur reported on the plans at an early stage and posted a list of affected models online:
WhatsApp end of support: These Android smartphones are affected
- Alcatel: One Touch Evo 7
- Huawei: Ascend G740, Ascend Mate, Ascend D Quad XL, Ascend D1 Quad XL, Ascend P1 S and Ascend D2.
- LG: Lucid 2, Optimus Prime F7, Optimus F5, Optimus L3 II Dual, Optimus F5, Optimus L5, Optimus L5 II, Optimus L5 Dual, Optimus L3 II, Optimus L7, Optimus L7 II Dual, Optimus Prime L7 II, Optimus Prime F6, Enact, Optimus Prime L4 II Dual, Optimus F3, Optimus L4 II, Optimus L2 II, Optimus Prime HD and 4X HD and Optimus F3Q.
- Samsung: Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy SII, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Xcover 2, Galaxy Core and Galaxy Ace 2.
- Sony: Xperia Miro, Sony Xperia Neo L, Xperia Arc S.
- ZTE: Grand S Flex, ZTE V956, Grand X Quad V987 and Grand Memo.
- Other manufacturers: Archos 53 Platinum, HTC Desire 500, Caterpillar Cat B15, Wiko Cink Five, Wiko Darknight, Lenovo A820, UMi X2, Faea F1 and THL W8.
WhatsApp end of support: These iOs smartphones are affected
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 6S
- Apple iPhone 6S Plus
WhatsApp Chat Backup: How Does It Work?
According to the report, WhatsApp recommends upgrading to newer smartphone models to avoid having to close an account with them. Entrepreneur recommends that those affected first create a backup of their chat history before November 1st. To do this, you need to call “Settings” in the application, then select the “Chats” sub-item, then check the “Backup” box.
Of course, you can also move on to messaging contests like Telegram, Signal or Threema.
picture He also writes about another possibility. On “many models” an OS update may be available under settings. So check it as a precaution. According to the report, the next comprehensive support for WhatsApp will not end until the end of 2022. (fr)
List of rubric lists: © Michael Bihlmayer / Imago