It is very important to recognize this disorder in a timely manner.
What exactly is dyslexia?
It is a developmental disorder that includes special learning disorders, especially readings. In spite of the acceptable intellectual abilities, the child has the problem of learning to read, to understand the reading text and to reproduce correctly in writing.
The most common cause is genetic predisposition (up to 40% of dyslexic parents have a dyslexic parent), to a lesser extent exogenous factors (prenatal, prenatal or postnatal period – before birth, before and after birth).
It is important to know that children with dyslexia are not stupid or lazy. The main area of the problem is the way the brain works. People with dyslexia do not read like those who use different parts of the brain. For this reason, literacy is a big problem.
Children learn to read how to associate the sound of letters / words in a written way. And in this context, dyslexics have a big problem. Reading is not an automatic activity because children with dyslexia have the problem of solving words and letters, assigning them to sound format, and then using the ability to read the word.
Although the diagnosis of this disorder is complex and requires an extensive psychologist examination, if the parent carefully observes and observes the child, he may suspect his illness.
If you have such a problem with your child, you may find a pedagogical-psychological counseling:
- One of the first warning signals is slow speech development. He may know very little or not much about the child's age.
- There is a problem connecting the phonemes and graphics that connect the visual form of a letter with the expression. You are not sure which letter of the alphabet creates the sound (imagine seeing B). Now read it out loud, there is this big problem.
- He reads at a much lower academic level than they say.
- When read aloud, short words are often skipped.
- Often it confuses letters with words or similar sounds.
- There is the problem of assigning a visual object to a word (instead of a fork).
- There is a problem with the same sound, but with the use of words that have a different meaning.
- It's hard to find out if two words are rhymed.
- Recognizing colors, new words are difficult to learn.
- I have problems with the teachings of rickshaws that have some rhythm.
- He reads slowly, doesn't like to read aloud, but has difficulty understanding the reading texts because of the difficulties in solving letters and words.
- It's hard to duplicate the text. Even if he is a fairy tale reader, he may not have the problem of summarizing the story.
- They may have difficulty using the appropriate word. It searches for the expression it wants to use over a long period of time and is often used to use a similar error.
- Written text can make mistakes in the same word.
- It has the problem of seeing (sometimes even hearing) the differences and similarities in words and letters.
- They have distorted the perceptions of differences in the details of the letters, their positions – for example, inverted shapes (b, d).
- Most of the time words have been skipped or added letters.
- He has difficulty understanding symbolic jokes and expressions.
- Pits cannot distinguish between soft / hard syllables (di-dy) or short or long tones.
- The correct order of words in the word is to identify the words contained in a sentence.
- Short-term memory has a word retention problem (if you want it to bring a book, paper and a pen, not always, it will bring one).
- You can knit right / left.
- Fitting between layers can be difficult – to "read" social situations or speech.
- If we take the first letter, it makes it difficult for us to learn which word to leave (if you say the word "train" and remove the word v) ask what word we got.
- It is hard to learn a foreign language.
Motivation and support are important
The child will struggle with dyslexia throughout his life. Therefore, it is very important not to be aware of their own difficulties to be a source of stress. The parent should motivate the child and, despite the first failure, encourage the child to stop trying and not to give up.
It can also help with the following activities where a parent can work with him / her every day:
- Children learn the best throughout the game. If you go to the shop, try to steal it: no matter how much food you find, like where you are (if you call Pe Eğerko, you can find parsley, pepper, orange …)
- Cut and color the hard paper letters and try to make the words associated with them.
- Make the most of your child with word creation. Ask what word you received and if the word of the cat gets the word then it gets and is added. (words can be invented, they do not need to be logical, it is important to teach the sounds of letters).
The council is terminating – The child is the fastest with this disorder and if it is not stressful, it progresses quickly, but you feel your patience and support.