World Diabetes Day was celebrated on November 14th. With the support of the Entroncamento City Council and the Gustave Eiffel Professional School, USF Locomotiva participates in this public awareness campaign.
DIABETES is a chronic disease for the rest of life, manifested by high blood sugar levels. Poorly controlled diabetes can lead to serious complications.
World Diabetes Day 2018 campaign, "Family and Diabetes – Protect Your Family – Know Diabetes!" It will focus on the theme. And it is dedicated to the whole family to deal with disease control and management. Family support is the key to success.
The aim is to increase the importance of urgent action to protect the health and well-being of future generations and to achieve significant results for people at risk or at risk of developing diabetes.
Diabetes in Numbers:
• 425 million adults (1 in 11) are diabetics and are estimated to have increased to 522 million in 2030.
• 1 out of 2 people with diabetes continue to be diagnosed (212 million).
• Diabetes caused 4 million deaths in 2017.
• More than 1 million children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
• 1 out of 6 pregnant women have high blood sugar levels.
• About 2/3 of people with diabetes are of working age (327 million).
• In 2017, world health expenditures for diabetes were higher than the defense budget of China and the United States!
• 3 out of 4 people with diabetes live in low- and middle-income countries.
In Portugal, according to the national diabetes observatory (2017), 1,065,000 people (20-79 years) were diagnosed with diabetes – 13.9% of the population. However, 1,139,000 people (14.8%) have already reduced the tolerance of diabetes (called "pre-diabetic"). It is estimated that these numbers increased over the years, and in 2045, 16.5% of the population will be diabetic and 17% will get pre-diabetes.
However, about 464.3 cases per 1000 people were diagnosed.
In 2017, 39.4% of Portuguese under the age of 60 accounted for the death of diabetes.
It is urgent to take action to avoid 80% of cases of Type 2 diabetes, to adopt healthy behaviors, to exercise physical exercise, healthy nutrition and to maintain normal weight.
The fact that the family has a healthy diet and exercise promotes the healthy behavior of all members by taking advantage of the reduced risk of developing diabetes (70% of premature deaths in adulthood resulting from behaviors that occur during adolescence). .
Knowing the disease (warning signs, risks, treatment …) is actively involved in the prevention of associated complications.
Early diagnosis and treatment of diabetes can prevent the associated complications: heart disease, blindness, renal failure, amputations and sexual impotence.
USF Locomotiva focuses on primary prevention, early treatment and effective management of family diseases as an effective approach to controlling preventable non-communicable diseases by promoting healthy lifestyle behaviors. Being sensitive to this problem is aimed at celebrating the day with the goal of reaching as many families as possible.
In USF Locomotiva, 1067 people were identified with diabetes: 1022 type 2 DM (543 males and 479 females) and 45 type 1 DM (23 males and 22 females), 14431 students (6833 males and 7598 females).
Knowing that 1 out of 2 people is diagnosed, it is vital that the whole family knows the risk factors and warning signs. Therefore, if you have any of these symptoms:
• Lack of energy
• Intensive thirst
• Unexplained weight loss
• More urine than ever
… GP or Family Nurse should see!
Prevention of expression: Having a healthy diet and walking, cycling, swimming or dancing. The important thing is to move! Do it as a family, because we're fighting better with diabetes.
With the support of World Diabetes Day, USF Locomotiva, Entroncamento City Council and Gustave Eiffel Vocational School, we will promote two activities that promote physical exercise in the family and promote the fight with diabetes:
• / Night Runners ayr: a race / walk from the Entroncamento Municipal Sports Mansion on Wednesday, November 14 at 8:00. At the end of the competition, a small questionnaire will be given to the participants to evaluate "Diabetes Risk".
• eğlenceli Traditional Family Games Aile: an entertaining initiative for children, parents and grandparents who develop physical activity as a family that once reminded traditional games that entertain children and adults. This will take place on Saturday, November 17 at 10:00 at the Entroncamento Municipal Sports Mansion. Throughout the morning, we can count on the distribution of iler Healthy Snacks v prepared with all the devotion and devotion of the students of Gustave Eiffel Professional School.
Come down and bring the family. We trust your existence!
Helena Souto e Santos (1st Year Trainee Specialist in General and Family Medicine Special Education – USF Locomotiva)
Ana Isabel Arraiolos (3rd Year Intern for General and Family Medicine Special Education – USF Locomotiva)