MURRAY WILSON / STAFF
The Levin pool was evacuated after a chemical incident.
After a chemical incident, fire, police and ambulance services were called to the Levin Water Center.
Police and Firefighters and Emergency NZ confirmed they increased their response after receiving calls at 11:00 on Monday.
Cordons, Queen St, Weraroa Rd and Salisbury St. around the block.
Ian Penn, commander of the Fire and Emergency assistant, said the two chemicals were mistakenly mixed and created an irritating gas.
He said 32 people in the pool were affected by gas and were treated by St John on the spot. One person was taken to Palmerston North Hospital in serious condition.
Firefighters were waiting for the chemicals to react before depositing them in the pool to dilute them.
They expect Penn's cords to be pulled out until 2.30.
Firefighters from Shannon, Levin, Waitörere, Palmerston North and North were featured at the scene.
The water center was closed early in October due to fear of a poisonous gas leak, but it gave a false alarm.
Twelve people were released and Horowhenua District Council apologized to the pool users.
At the time, officials said contractors were testing pool alarms.