A criminal complaint has been filed against Claude d’Harcourt, the governor of Loire-Atlantique, who was deployed at the time of Steve Maia Caniço’s death during a controversial police operation in Nantes in 2019, Rennes prosecutor Philippe Astruc said on Thursday evening, 14 October.
“Today, during the truth, the governor of Loire-Atlantique was accused of manslaughter”, the magistrate said in a press release. Claude d’Harcourt, the governor, who had come after several other protagonists in the case since the summer, was expected to be heard in October.
“Depending on requests for additional action, interrogation or confrontation that may be required, the end of the investigation may take place at the end of 2021 or at the beginning of 2022, before the Rennes Public Prosecutor’s Office is invited to receive their requests. A three-month period from the end of the investigation (a period of three months from the end of the investigation) to the referral of persons involved in criminal court.” about whether or notindicates the press release.
Many other indictments
“Deputy and chief of staff of the governor of the Loire-Atlantique at the time of the events”, together “Police commissioner in charge of the device during the events” He was also accused of manslaughter in July following the death of this 24-year-old young man who fell in the Loire on the occasion of the Music Festival. “During the intervention of the national police” , in the words of Mr. Astruc.
The PS mayor of Nantes, Johanna Rolland, and her former deputy for security and public welfare were granted witness status in September and in July, “DDSP [Directeur départemental de la sécurité publique] deputy who was on duty during the realities ”.
The city and metropolis of Nantes, headed by Johanna Rolland, was granted witness-aided status as a legal entity in September. An assisted witness is a person who is involved in a criminal case. It is an intermediate status between the witness and the accused.
Extracurricular animator Steve Maia Caniço disappeared on the night of June 21-22, 2019, following a police operation aimed at ending an electro night on the banks of the Loire. His body was found in the river longer. one month later, 29 July.
Our articles on the death of Steve Maia Caniço
- Truths. At 4 am on the night of 21-22 June 2019, the police went to Quai Wilson in Nantes to disperse a techno party. Clashes broke out and participants said they were blinded by the tear gas cloud; some of them, startled, fell into the river. Steve Maia Caniço, 24, had been missing since that evening until his body was found on July 29.
- Investigation. Since the tragedy, the investigation has been particularly slow. The mobilization of his friends received wide media coverage and put pressure on the authorities. In Rennes, the investigation was eventually stalled in September, at the request of the two Nantes investigating judges in charge of the case. His phone and a witness are at the center of the latest developments in the investigation.
- IGPN report. A day after the body was found, the National Police Inspector General (IGPN) released a report confirming that nothing had happened. “The direct link between the police intervention and the disappearance of Mr. Steve Maia Caniço”. For our journalist specializing in the police, this is a “Legitimate police intervention while criticizing their methods”. In September, a report from the administration’s general inspection estimated that the police commissioner on the field was “undecided”.
- Next. “The police operation was insane as it was done” : a year after his death, his relatives express their grief.
- Event summarized in the video: Here’s what we know about Steve Maia Caniço’s death in Nantes.