The history of medicine can be as quaint as it is fascinating.
BBC journalist Thomas Morris knows well.
In his book, "The eruptions of medical history and other curiosities" (Penguin, 2018), he revealed seven of the most bizarre cases in the medical years.
Here we show you a summary:
1. Exploding teeth
200 years ago, a pastor from Pennsylvania, United States (only described as "Priest D.A."), began to suffer a relentless toothache.
She pained her, doing her best to ease the pain: running like an animal running into her garden, and hit her head and plunged her face cold.
Unfortunately, all these attempts in vain.
The next morning, the pastor walked from one side to the other throughout the study, holding his chin, when suddenly there was a "sharp rumble" Like a gunshot, he tore his teeth apart.She instantly provided relief. "
Strangely enough, it was the beginning of the boom of the priest. epidemic of explosive teeth In the end, a dental journal will be announced under the title of altında exploding teeth with an audible report En.
Apparently, the toothache of a young female had ended horribly; his teeth ached and nearly tossed him, for a few weeks he was cheating.
What could be causing these dramatic explosions? Experts suggested various theories ranging from sudden changes in temperature to chemicals used in initial fillings.
However, none of these arguments were particularly convincing, so there were exploding teeth. still unsolved until today.
2. Sailor swallows the knives
In 1799, the 23-year-old American sailor, John Cummings, spent the night at Le Havre's companion in the French harbor.
There, the group saw a wizard entertaining a great spectator who seemed to swallow the knives.
Later that night, Cummings, who was so drunk, had bragged about it. I can swallow the knives like "French". Encouraged by the friends of the beloved seaman, put his penknisini mouth and swallowed.
When a spectator asked him how many knives he had eaten, Cummings answered: "All the knives on the ship!"before consuming three more.
Although it was stupid, it was an impressive success. Although Cummings didn't try to use more knives for six years, he wanted to show off at a party in 1805 and repeat his show in front of a group of sailors.
However, it did not take too long for Cummings to begin experiencing the negative effects of its unusual diet.
Bad stomach ache He made food even harder and started to starve.
He finally died in 1809 after a long illness.
His doctors, who did not believe that he had stolen his story with a knife, confused him initially and were amazed to break up his body. Worn residue of more than 30 knives in your stomach and his bowels, even one of them pierced his column.
3. pigeon punch treatment
Nineteenth-century physicians used a wide variety of strange drugs, but the few German physicians were as strange as Karl Friedrich Canstatt suggested.
The elite specialist in childhood diseases gave the following recipe to treat childhood seizures: " A pigeon holds his fist against the child's anus during an attackThe animal dies soon and the attack continues at the same speed ".
That was an idea eccentric And interestingly, Canstatt wasn't the only doctor who believed he worked.
Director of the Children's Hospital of St. Petersburg JF Weisse had little success with traditional medicines when he was called to treat a child who was seriously ill one night in August 1850.
Desperate, he asked the parents to buy a pigeon. ”After the bird has been applied to the child's anus, olarak he writes in a medical journal,“ he breathed a few times to breathe, periodically closed his eyes, then stiffened with a spasm of his feet and finally vomited. “
The child has miraculously recovered. The same can not be said about the pigeon: after a few hours after he refused to eat died.
When news about the, treatment of pigeon punch # has reached the medical journals of London, too much laughs.
However, Weisse ignored the regiments and called for further investigation: ları Experiments with other poultry are necessary mez, seemingly solemnly.
4. Soldier with his bladder stone removed
Colonel Claude Martin He was an eighteenth-century soldier who spent most of his life for the British East India Company.
In addition to having a successful military career, he worked as a cartographer, architect and manager. It was the richest European in India and also built (and flew) the first hot air balloon in the country.
But the less well-known thing about Martin is that he was the first to perform a medical procedure known as lithotripsy.
when developed symptoms of bladder stonesIn 1782, Martin decided not to visit the doctor and realized that the operation to lift him would be extremely painful.
Instead, the brave French took matters into their own hands.
Martin designed a special tool with a knitting needle and a whale handle. after He placed this household appliance in his urethra and bladder.and the stone was dug up.
Thereupon, the colonel repeated the terrible procedure for six months up to 12 times a day.
Surprisingly, it worked: at the end of this period his symptoms disappeared.
Fifty years later, something very similar to the technique of Martin has become a standard method for the treatment of bladder stones, and the pioneer research of surgeons in Paris revealed that the colonel did not know what he was doing.
Martin was just not Performs the first procedureIt is also known as lithotripsy; same time first patient This process.
5. The story of the miller
On August 15, 1737, a young man named Samuel Wood worked at one of the windmills in the Isle of Dogs in London.
She didn't realize there was a rope hanging down to search another corn bag.
As you pass by the big wooden wheels, rope caught in one of the gears And before I knew what it was, it blew up and fell suddenly to the ground.
When he got up, Wood didn't feel any pain except a slight tingling on his right shoulder. Then he saw an unexpected object in the wheel: one arm amputated
Arm!, he realized with fear.
He managed to walk under a narrow staircase with admirable exposure and managed to walk to the nearest house to ask for help.
Losing one's limp is not a trivial matter: The injury to the wood was so great that the doctors treating the young man feared a fatal outcome. But they were surprised to see the arm. very clean The patient's life was not in danger.
The wood had been saved from misunderstanding within a few weeks and he was a kind famousLocal taverns sold pictures of the man who survived when a pinwheel severed his arm.
In November 1737, three months after the accident Samuel, Royal Society as living wonderThe amputated arm is now preserved in alcohol, which is also presented for review by collected scientists.
6. Slug in your stomach
In the summer of 1859, a 12-year-old girl named Sarah Ann from London began her complaint with nausea. His symptoms were not serious and his family did not worry until one afternoon. vomited a large garden slug"live and very active".
Sarah Ann vomited later seven more slugsThe various sizes, however, all live and their parents probably decided the time to seek medical help.
When she asks you for something unusual, the girl's doctor loved to eat lettuce in the garden.
The doctor said he had swallowed the young slug family not knowing it for a few weeks.
She also noticed that Sarah Ann had only one hand, and that the mother had referred to the fact that the mother was "frightened by a hedgehog" during pregnancy.
It was like the history of slugs. improbable and some experts advised her to behave like this: "Can the garden snail live in the human stomach?" asked a title in science magazine Lancet.
JC Dalton, a professor of physiology in New York City, decided to learn it. He did a comprehensive series of experiments involving wetting live slugs in stomach acid to see what had happened.
All living things died a few minutes later, and after a few hours they were completely digested and the teacher reasonable; slugs can not live in human stomach.
So, what was Sarah Ann's? It seems likely that his illness will provide more reason than the physical.
But whatever it was that wasn't his parents, was definitely a mollusk in his stomach.
7. A burning discomfort
Bad breath, also known as bad breath, is an embarrassing and embarrassing condition, but is rarely a dangerous situation.
In 1886, an unknown man in Glasgow, who had a bad breath for about a month, developed a disturbing new symptom.
When he woke up in the middle of the night, he lit a match to look at his watch. While he was trying to explode, his breath took fireis causing an enormous explosion.
His wife woke right up and her husband skeptical dragon.
The man's doctor had never heard anything similar, and at first nobody knew what could have caused this unusual phenomenon.
But then another Scottish doctor, James McNaught, had to stop smoking because of fear of burning a burned-out patient and burning his house.
When a tube enters the man's stomach, McNaught was able to analyze the contents. He discovered there was a blockage in the intestine. Male stomach content to be fermentedIt produces a large amount of combustible methane.
Although potentially dangerous, this state has also served as a funny trick.
In the 1930s, a patient tried to light a cigarette while playing. bridgebut she had drowned in need of belching.
In a medical journal, he said: dem When he tried to do it secretly through the nose in the company, he electrified his comrades, producing two flames coming out of his nostrils. Tıbbi
What could be more cautious than that?
You can now get notifications from the BBC World. Download and activate the new version of your application to avoid our latest content.
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED