A dog from Sooke, who passed away on Thursday afternoon, was identified as a potentially life-threatening disease.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that causes vomiting, diarrhea and severe weight loss in animals. Untreated, it can lead to kidney failure and death. The disease can also be passed on to people.
Dogs can catch uyla zoonotic ıyla disease by drinking water contaminated with other animals, such as puddles in dog parks.
Dr. Sooke Veterinary Hospital. Deborah Lambert, a dog known to the Sooke region often known to catch leptospirosis around November 4, and the disease was confirmed by a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on November 7th. He was being treated, called Umut, and was in quarantine. She died Thursday afternoon.
Mi My heart is torn, my perfect little daughter is gone and I don't know what to do without her, she is more than anything, she is my patience, my assistant, my heart and my soul, and she is gone mükemmel How does life continue without her? Için Hope's owner, Sarah Galbraith, wrote on the GoFundMe page for Hope's maintenance costs.
“Thank you all for your love and support. Without you all, as long as there was no chance of fighting. "
Lambert said this was the first known case of confirmed leptospirosis, according to the knowledge of the veterinary hospital in Sooke. Nevertheless, it also said that the bacteria that cause leptospirosis are slowly spreading into the Greater Victoria area.
Bir While exposure to early home tests may be shown, a laboratory test is required to verify this. Early caught, bacteria are easily killed. However, the damage can cause permanent injuries to organs or even fatalities, hasar wrote Lambert.
According to the BC Center for Disease Control, leptospirosis is the most common zoonotic disease in the world, but is particularly common in tropical and sub-tropic regions. Human cases are rare in Canada, but the BC CDC says that in North America the disease is increased in dogs.
Infected persons may have different symptoms, ranging from asymptomatic to severe diseases. Most cases are relatively soft and people recover. In Canada, one to five percent of people die from leptospirosis, but rates of up to 20 percent die in outbreaks in underdeveloped countries.
Leptospirosis can cause many symptoms including: fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, weakness (conjunctivitis), conjunctivitis (pink eye) and vomiting. Jaundice (yellow skin or eyes), abdominal pain and rash may also occur. Serious consequences such as kidney and liver failure, meningitis and respiratory problems are possible.
The infection can begin with mild symptoms that are severe within a few days. The symptoms start on average by 10 days (range between two to 30 days) after exposure to the bacteria, and lasting from a few days to several weeks. Sometimes a person may be infected and may not have symptoms.
Leptospirosis is confirmed by blood test and treated with antibiotics such as doxycycline or penicillin.
In the United States, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that when a pet is diagnosed with leptospirosis, one of the normal daily activities with the pet will not put one of the normal risk for leptospirosis infection. High-risk contact involves direct or indirect contact with your pet's urine, blood and tissues during infection, and helps the birth of newborns from an infected animal.
Leptospirosis animals are also treated with antibiotics. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that if an animal is treated early, it can heal faster and any organ damage may be less severe. Other treatment methods such as hydration therapy and dialysis can be used.
He said vaccines are available for the protection of dogs against four types of bacteria that are likely to cause the disease. There are first vaccination, followed by a booster three to four weeks later, followed by annual sneezers. Lambert is considered an irritating vaccine. This means that animals may sometimes have temporary pain, swelling, or other reactions, but Lambert says this is only 1.5% of cases.
It also recommends that pets do not drink from stagnant water sources and do not wash their feet, especially after walking in wet weather.