Saturday , October 23 2021

Seattle woman amoeba eating brain tied to rinse nose



[ad_1]

It was another brain surgery for Charles Cobbs.

Cobbs, a neurosurgeon at the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, said, “Something I've never seen before … pathologists couldn't really detect what it was, because the tissue was almost destroyed.

Cobbs was working last January because he thought he had a brain tumor. When he opened it, the damage was so severe that he sent some of it for the test.

A rare amoeba brewed him alive.

Cobbs believed that the patient's neti pot was a teapot-shaped product that he used to digest sinuses from the nasal cavity. Unlike boiled water or salt water, he says he uses tap water.

Rare infection

The patient had a rare brain infection called Balamuthia mandrillaris. A free-living amoeba in the soil and clean water that doesn't usually harm people.

Cobbs wrote about the case for the latest edition of the International Journal of Infectious Diseases.

The publication does not define the patient.

The report states that the rare amoeba was discovered in 1986 in an autopsy from a mandrill monkey's brain in the San Diego Zoo in 1986 and was a new species in 1993.

In addition, there are only 200 cases of human cases worldwide and at least 70 cases in the United States. The mortality rate for Balamuthia infection is around 100 percent.

. If you inject directly into the nasal passages, you could have an infection if you had enough, … explains Cobbs.

"I suspect he has nasal blockages and skin on his nose, and after a while, he went into the bloodstream and probably went to the brain."

According to the article, the infection first appeared as a skin lesion on the woman's nose. Doctors have been acting as a common skin condition for about a year, rosacea.

Cobbs says that the rarity of the amoeba has difficulty in quickly diagnosing the disease. Eventually, the patient suffered a stroke, then the doctors did a CT scan. At this point, they diagnosed him with a brain tumor.

She hadn't diagnosed the infection until she underwent surgery. The patient died within a month, although the amoeba removed the parts.

Nasal rinse alert

Cobbs encourages those who use nasal rinse to properly wash containers.

”I suspect that there's probably a container sitting around de an amoeba could build a shop there, and maybe tap water could have been sitting around and maybe that just grew,“ he said.

Neti pans, sinus problems when used properly or a good way to get rid of flu says.

[ad_2]
Source link