Wednesday , January 27 2021

Leander Green was the first Newfoundlander to be given the Distinguished Service Medal for his courage in the First World War | Local | News

When he learned of a local man's heroes, he was no surprise to everyone in the Sunnyside community.
A sailor with a Royal Newfoundland Reservist, Leander Green, accelerated his hand when a captain of a ship needed a volunteer volunteer to save the lives of seafarers in the North Atlantic. Best times.

Leanderüyors son, Everett Green, says the third man who volunteered to try to rescue his father from the ship was a sinking ship.

He had already seen two men try and fail. Still, he didn't hesitate when he was asked to leave.

"I am proud of my father to make the decision to save the lives of these men," said Everett, a retired inspector at Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.
. His courage always showed a man thinking about another and trying to do the right thing. “

He told me that Leander's lives like this every day, not just when he's called.
Everett is one of nine children of Leander and his wife, Mary Blanche. Times were trying to feed and dress them, but they did.
He said his father was a man of God, who spent so much time in the church praying, singing with a powerful voice or singing. When he was not in church, he was trying to help his family or others in the community.
U I remember my mother once telling her, she woke up in the middle of the night and asked her, tı Leander, what's wrong? Why can not you sleep? “Everett said.
. You know everybody in one way or another, or so in the uncle, there's not much, and I'm worried they won't have any food when they get up tomorrow. So he went downstairs and did a takeaway and went home, opened the door and sneaked into the kitchen and went quietly. Always who he is Her.
Everett said that when he came to the end of his life, he didn't hear a bad word about his father.

Leander signed up to serve the Great War with one of 87 people from the Sunnyside region. St. A fisherman from Jones Without, joined the marine reserve in 1914 and was the first group of substitutes assigned to active duty.
In 1914, HMS Hilary sailed to SS Maryetta, a torpedo by a German submarine and sinking in the North Atlantic. Strikken the ship's crew had no way out because they had lost their lifeboats.
The only way to save any of these was to get a line from Hilary to Maryetta. And the only way to do that was to swim and swim with a rope.
Able Seaman Green stepped forward.
In later years, telling the events of the night to his family, "I looked at the side and I thought, what am I doing here?"
Then he jumped the end of the rope tied to his chest and the rope on his teeth.
He swam to the sinking ship and – with the rescue rope rescued between the two ships – Maryetta's crew began moving to Hilary along the rope.
Green stayed with the rope and helped the men. The six men were rescued by his heroism.

Ett The father never mentioned it, but every Armistice Day would pass, Müt Everett said.
"I used to make his boots shine to him."
”Leander Green is a glorious representative of our Naval Reservists – a strong, strong and powerful, glamorous and intelligent, brilliant – but a man who does, but who does that. Cad

When Leander returned from the war, he bought a two-wheelbarrow and went fishing in Labrador. He would go to St. John with his fish, and then go back to his ship, Dorothy Blundell, in Sunnyside. He was packing fish, and Everett would walk all over Sunnyside to get some of what he needed.
Leander Green died in 1966, the same year Everett joined the RNC until the next stage of the Green family's service life.

I [email protected]

– Files from Barbara Dean Simmons, Saltwire Network

Look at the video

Source link