In those days, the authorities announced the discovery of the ARA San Juan, the Wagner Clar family and the city of Olavarría the next day in Hinojo (party town). Diego Wagner Clar and 43 comrades ship to the east of the city.
ARA The crew of San Juan would be the hero of the ceremony, but during the preparations it was the neighbors of Olavarría, part of the tribute. Many were collaborators from a local painter through the municipality, local companies and artists, and collaborated with Emilio Wagner on the project launched by Diego de Diego. When neighbors were aware of Emilio's desire, they joined a single goal. Build a copy of ARA San Juan to honor your crew.
On Sunday, November 18, the Hinojo amphitheater was full as the streets around the theater. After hearing the 44 ringtones coming from San Juan to remember the crew and the National Anthem, the most anticipated moment is Emilio and Catalina – Diego's parents, Revenge Ezequiel Galli and Diego's class. friends. Three and a half months of ARA discovered a copy of San Juan. At that moment, the release of the pigeons allowed them to fly into the sky while singing the song of the navy. "Hooray homeland! Long live the ARA San Juan! Hooray 44 heroes!" An exciting team mate praised Diego.
The replica was almost 10 meters long, and Roge Lacoste de Hinojo took part in the amphitheater. There were a lot of people who provided their jobs, their hearts and their feelings to their work, their friends or simple foreigners. "With so much love and a lot of tears, they all donated," Emilio Wagner told DEF. Said. ”We wouldn't do anything without the neighbors,“ he said.
Mayor Galli continued his words as follows: "From now on we knew that we were an Olavarian in the ARA San Juan team, this disturbance was even greater. Knowing his life story, sacrifice to reach where he wanted, knowing his dreams through family, has made his name to every home and school in Olavarría.".
Juan Carlos Sampaoli, a great submarine officer born in Olavarría, said: buraya Bringing us here as sailors and submarines today, remembering and honoring all the sailors who brought us here and fulfilled the mission of a great sacrifice. Diego is a perfect military man, with a flawless attitude and a great professional. (…) Honor and honor for the comrades of Diego and 43 ".
Diego Wagner's lieutenant and friend Fernando Barra's lieutenant recalled in dialogue with the DEF: I He was very humble, very attached to the profession and his family, his passion was a submarine. He came from the yacht, we came together and told an anecdote after an anecdote. I lived near my house in Mar del Plata, today your children are like my nephew. He was the brother of my heart. "
During the court, a plaque with the name of the crew was discovered as a symbol of Ignacio Cardiello: the sea lion, ARA San Juan, with the work of a local artist. In this action, the Argentine Navy staff placed the figure of the virgin Stella Maris (the employer of the Force) on the plate. Artist Jano Chasman gave another copy of Diego's family.
At the ceremony, 3 trees of 44 trees were planted.
"It's almost impossible to rescue"
When the movement ended, the DEF contacted Emilio Wagner. With the love of the city and the presence of ARA San Juan, the father of the submarine crew was grateful for the help he received and reminded him of his son's service.
– How did he live? How did this idea of tribute emerge?
-A lot of emotions. It was too strong for us. Once we went to Olavarría from Mar del Plata. My wife and I are very sad. Suddenly, between Balcarce and Tandil, a cloud appeared in the form of a submarine. I felt my son was asking me something. This led me to copy, I wanted to do something powerful, it will last for years. That's why I thought about making iron.
– Do I have experience working with such materials?
– No, I've never worked with this material, I'm not a welder. An neighbor who sells irons close to home made me see Gonzalez. I asked her if her heart had remnants and promised to help me. On the same day, I contacted people from Industrial Park. When I told them what I wanted to do, they offered to do something bigger, more important. I told them I had no idea, but they were sure that they would reach me. They gave me two big cylinders, another person gave me a place to work, even tools. I stood next to the rollers and didn't know what to do. I had no idea.
– Who helped him at that stage?
– A boy studying engineering gave me a hand to cut the rollers, so he made some designs for me. Then I called Diego's friend Ariel Do Santos, because I saw that I couldn't do it. None of us knew how to weld, but we started to push. We didn't know how to continue on more than one occasion. And we asked men to help, 44 years old. Even crying, we couldn't. We asked them and the ideas appeared instantly. I think the submarine made 44. It was made with a lot of love and many tears. They all donated. There were people who helped us carry him, and they incarcerated him and painted him. He doesn't know what he does with emotion and love.
– The whole city can be said to be …
– The people of Olavaría gave us love and affection. They donated 44 trees, and even one of the nurseries went to plant them. We could do nothing without the neighbors.
– How did they find the submarine?
As a father, no matter how much they tell him, he always has little hope. When the Navy communicated her finding, they died at the time. It was so bad, it was a very hard blow. Only now we can do our duels. Diego has an extraordinary wife, Carolina. She is now a great mother who fought in Mar del Plata, not just the navy but other men in the navy family. When we can, we're trying to travel with him and my grandchildren.
– Consider the possibility of submarine recovery?
– It's impossible to save him. The submarine weighs thousands of tons and is very deep. I believe the children aren't there, they turned into matter. They brought body and soul into heaven. Diego stands in the Argentine Sea. She would want to be alone, let her rest there. We never wanted to disturb our son's memory because we know that if Diego went back, he would have gone to another submarine immediately. For the homeland, not for money, but for their loved ones. Diego had the ability to find a job in any merchant's sea, but the beloved gave up a better pass to continue in the Navy. He was a sailor in his heart. On the last trip, he told his wife he'd go for it for everything and defend them all. These were the last words Diego had with him.
We have not seen clearly what happened as parents and pain. Then I could think of it and started to roll back everything Diego said: how dangerous it was to go in a submarine, pressures … Diego knew that and he told me that if anything happened to me, it was very hard to be alive. I told him to come down to defend the country in a different way. But for her, it was the greatest honor to be a diver. For me, my son is a national hero. I live with her dreadfully proud.
– Do you think Argentina is aware of the importance of our resources with the disappearance of San Juan?
– People realized how important the Armed Forces were. The submarine kept our sea, our border. Before and after that, let's hope so.